Data Cartooning is illustrating data into visually appealing and concise but informative way. It is one of the most exciting ways to express insights and knowledge in interpreting data by means of sketching or drawing comical image/s. A Data Cartooning Contest is organized by PSA – RSSO 8 as part of the 32nd National Statistics Month (NSM) Celebration. This competition aims to express the students’ views on how statistics can matter to common Filipinos and appreciate the value of statistics produced by the PSA.
Who can join:
- This contest is open to all Tertiary students currently enrolled in any State University and Colleges (SUCs) and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Eastern Visayas.
Interested participants should register through this link: https://forms.gle/ZpnfqiM2abuHzFeX9
- Registration period is on 04 October 2021, 1:00 PM until 13 October 2021, 5:00 PM.
- Upon registration, picture/scanned copy of proof of enrollment, such as school ID, certificate of enrollment, and/or enrollment receipt will be required in the registration form.
- Each registered contestant will be provided the same set of tables containing official statistics. This will be emailed on 15 October 2021, 9AM to the respective email addresses indicated in the registration form.
- The contestants will sketch by hand to create data cartoons (in comics style) in a ¼ illustration board (15” x 20”).
- Drawing or sketch should present in-depth visual interpretation of the data set or official statistics provided by PSA through email.
- Data cartoons must not use any form of technology for animation. Picture cutouts and electronically printed photos should not be used.
- Materials such as ¼ illustration board (15” x 20”), pencils with eraser, oil pastels, colored pens and sharpener, coloring materials such as markers, ink, oil, acrylic and watercolor will be provided by the participants.
- All data cartoons should have titles and captions based on the interpretation and illustration of the data provided
- Texts or captions should be in Filipino or English.
- Name of the contestant and name of SUC/HEI where he/she is currently enrolled should be placed at the lower center portion of the drawing.
- Take a clear and full picture of the data cartoon entry. Pictures to be submitted should be in .jpg or .png file format and should not have undergone
post-processing or editing.
- File naming convention to be followed: Data Cartooning_<Contestant Name>
(ex. Data Cartooning_Juan Dela Cruz).
- All entries should be emailed to email@example.com with the Subject:
32nd NSM Data Cartooning Contest – <Name>
(ex. 32nd NSM Data Cartooning Contest – Juan Dela Cruz) on or before 15 October 2021, 5PM. In the email body, please include the following details:
1. Name of Contestant:
4. Contact Number:
- All entries will be judged by a Board of Judges on 19 October 2021. The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable.
- Three (3) best data cartoon entries will be chosen
- Winning and all other entries will be the property of PSA – RSSO 8 and may be used for other advocacy activities.
- Winners will be announced and awarded during the 32nd NSM Virtual Closing Ceremony on 28 October 2021. Certificate of Participation will be given to non-winners.
Prizes at Stake
1st Place – PhP 2,000
2nd Place – PhP 1,500
3rd Place – PhP 1,000
All entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Relevance and implications (data analysis and message) – 30%
- Visual Quality and Creativity (design, color, tones, etc.) – 30%
- Accuracy of Data Presented (clear and correct data) – 20%
- Originality/Uniqueness – 20%
For more details, please contact:
Statistical Operations and Coordination Division
Philippine Statistics Authority
Regional Statistics Services Office VIII
Leyte SR Bldg., Artemio Mate Ave.,
Abucay, Tacloban City
Telephone No.: (053) 321-8392
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com