Data Storytelling is the preparation of stories using official statistics. A Data Storytelling Contest is organized by PSA – RSSO 8 as part of the 32nd National Statistics Month (NSM) Celebration. This competition aims to test data literacy i.e., data interpretation and communication of statistics, among students.
Who can join:
- This contest is open to all Tertiary students currently enrolled in any State University and Colleges (SUCs) and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Eastern Visayas.
Interested participants should register through this link: https://forms.gle/AQy8ccRYzFFknXsJ9
- Registration period is on 04 October 2021, 1:00 PM until 13 October 2021, 5:00 PM.
- Upon registration, picture/scanned copy of proof of enrollment, such as school ID, certificate of enrollment, and/or enrollment receipt will be required in the registration form.
- Each registered contestant will be provided the same set of tables containing official statistics. This will be emailed on 15 October 2021, 9AM to the respective email addresses indicated in the registration form.
- The contestants will analyze and interpret the data provided and prepare a story or article
- The article (including tables, charts and figures, if any) must be encoded in English, font Arial, font size 12, double-spaced, composed of at least 800 words and shall not exceed 1000 words. The pages of the paper must also be numbered consecutively.
- All entries should have titles based on the interpretation of the official statistics provided.
- Name of the contestant and name of SUC/HEI where he/she is currently enrolled should be placed below the story/article
- All entries must be in PDF file format.
- File naming convention to be followed: Data Storytelling_<Contestant Name>
(ex. Data Storytelling_Juan Dela Cruz).
- All entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject:
32nd NSM Data Storytelling Contest – <Name >
(ex. 32nd NSM Data Storytelling Contest – Juan Dela Cruz) on or before 15 October 2021, 5PM.
In the email body, please include the following details:
1. Name of Contestant:
4. Contact Number:
- All entries will be judged by a Board of Judges on 19 October 2021. The
decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and unappealable.
- Three (3) best data storytelling entries will be chosen.
- Winning and all other entries will be the property of PSA – RSSO 8 and may be used for other advocacy activities.
- Winners will be announced and awarded during the 32nd NSM Virtual Closing Ceremony on 28 October 2021. Certificate of Participation will be given to
Prizes at Stake
1st Place – PhP 2,000
2nd Place – PhP 1,500
3rd Place – PhP 1,000
All entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Content (correct and innovative use of data) – 40%
- Storytelling (compelling and engaging story) – 40%
- Overall Impact (effective and easy to understand) – 20%
For more details, please contact:
Statistical Operations and Coordination Division
Philippine Statistics Authority
Regional Statistics Services Office VIII
Leyte SR Bldg., Artemio Mate Ave.,
Abucay, Tacloban City
Telephone No.: (053) 321-8392
Email Address: email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org